RE: [SLUG] System configuration proposal

From: Matt Miller (Matt.Miller@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 09:59:51 EDT

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 08:51, Levi Bard wrote:
> Actually, I've heard horrific things about the state of ATI drivers for
> Linux, particularly for the higher-end cards - that's why I picked an
> nvidia chipset. I've heard the binary drivers are a bit hit-and-miss, but
> they work very well when they work, but at least nvidia is actively
> supporting linux. I suppose I will have to run the drivers in
> "compatibility mode" though, unless I can get nvidia to send me some ia64
> ones.

Agreed.
Other than tainting your kernel with a closed source driver, I have to
say from my experience the nvidia drivers rock. I get comparable frame
rates and visual aesthetics to that of similar 3D games/gl utilities on
Windows systems. With the ati drivers and utilizing radeon DRI, I get
about 1/3 to 1/2 of the performance compared to a similar Windows
system. Add artifacts and other visual anomalies associated with the ati
drivers, and there is no comparison.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -- Nietzsche