Re: [SLUG] DSL on different OSes

From: Timothy L. Jones (tim@timjones.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 12:43:18 EDT

It is THEIR problem! I just saw these exact same symptoms on Monday on my
sister-in-law's computer, but (get this) it was Road Runner that gave me this
nonsense, not VZ.

Let me explain - her MB and CPU got fried 2 months ago (on an Emachines
T2460), and she has been fighting with Best Buy to get it fixed under
warranty. Despite being a new machine, they just would not honor it. So she
finally brought it to me. I put in the new MB and CPU, had to re-install XP
(Microsoft didn't approve the install ID that was generated by the old
installation on the new MB). I did all this at my house, meaning it grabbed
a 10.0.0.x address from my firewall's DHCP server. I downloaded all the
Win32 OSS goodies (Open Office, Mozilla, etc), tightened a few things (what
little I know about Windoze anymore - I never use it myself anymore), and
make a 10G Debian partition too (for my sanity). So, I sent it home to her,
figuring she would just plug it in and it would "just work".

But it didn't... I went to HER house, and looked around. The symptoms were
the same under Linux and WinXP: packets were being sent and received by the
network interface (an all-in-one MB), yet there were no DHCPOFFERS. There
was about 200 unsolicited bytes/second being received, but I had not
installed a packet sniffer, so I could not tell what these packets were. And
of course, with the interface lacking an IP address, I could not download one
either. So I give up, tell her it is RoadRunner network, and she calls them,
and of course is told to reboot, reinstall, get rid of Linux, get a new
ethernet card, all of which is totally BS.

The next day, she called to tell me that her computer now had an IP address of
169.254.45.121, with the same 255.255.0.0 netmask. Knowing that IP addresses
have to come from SOMEWHERE under DHCP, I knew for sure something was wrong
with RR's network. I could not get over there on that day, so I didn't get
to look at it any further.

But the THIRD day, I hear a report from her that everything is WORKING...
DHCP, DNS, fast downloads, all the Windoze virusware working. And I had not
even been there, and no one else had been at her computer.

The troubling thing for me, is that you said you're on VZ DSL. The problem I
saw was on RoadRunner (Temple Terrace area).

tlj