[SLUG] Spyware

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 19:16:57 EDT

Hi All

A couple of basic network questions for a box connected to the web by dial up.

1. Is there any way to block pop-up adds from entering the computer while
allowing pop-up that are used by some websites to convey information?

2. Is there any way to eliminate adds from known web add companies from
entering the computer?

PLEASE NOTE: The objective is to kill them or stop them from entering the
computer not to switch to a different browser which blocks them at the
browser level.

The reason for the questins is that I have noted that there are a number of
sites that add spyware to pop-up and other MS programs. That would not bother
me at all except that I visit one web site "The Washington Post" that was
letting me view their technology page until I deleted all the assorted tags
that collected in /tmp. Now I can not access the tat technical site.

That raises the question to me of what did they have installed on my computer
without my authorization that allowed access.

Hence my desire to keep all of the associated tracking files out.

Thanks

Frank