Re: [SLUG] Spyware

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 19:49:33 EDT

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:

> 1. Is there any way to block pop-up adds from entering the computer while
> allowing pop-up that are used by some websites to convey information?

Since the desired pop-ups happen so seldom, I leave my browser set to
"pop-ups denied" all the time, and only switch it to "pop-ups allowed"
when something's missing. That's no good for you, as you don't want to
switch browsers. There probably are some proxies that look for a "new
window" command in the HTML stream, and analyze it before (maybe) passing
it to your browser.

> 2. Is there any way to eliminate adds from known web add companies from
> entering the computer?

That's easy. Any half-decent anti-ad proxy should do that. I use
junkbuster under Linux, which blocks by URL. I've also used Webwasher
under Windows, which blocks by a number of criteria, including image
dimension.

> That would not bother me at all except that I visit one web site "The
> Washington Post" that was letting me view their technology page until I
> deleted all the assorted tags that collected in /tmp. Now I can not
> access the tat technical site.

Try deleting all cookies associated with that site. Maybe there's a
cookie that references some non-existant file.

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al