[SLUG] DHCP, Linux Workstations, and a Windows Server

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 10:54:15 EDT

At my last job, I was able to connect my laptop running Debian to my
work's MS 2000 Server ethernet LAN and via DHCP get an instant internet
connection (of course never any Windows file services as to be
expected). I didn't even have to log in. Is this a universally true
occurance? Can I connect to any LAN's internet services (if internet is
available to Windows boxes) by plugging a DHCP-compliant device into the
wall?