Re: [SLUG] DHCP, Linux Workstations, and a Windows Server

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 11:45:40 EDT

Generally speaking, yes. Depends. Small networks might have static IP's...
requires manual configuration, but is more secure (using MAC's to IP
assignments). Using DHCP, the server will dole out IP address to anyone
that connects to the network. Getting to the internet might be a different
story. Many "URL filtering" firewalls &/or software may require user
authentication, before it allows the user to access any ports outside of the
LAN. This can be done behind the scenes, using the user authentication that
has already been established on the network (when the user logs in). If
configured correctly, this will keep people from hooking up laptops that
where brought from home, and having internet access (though will not prevent
LAN/IP access). This is one of the security concerns associated to WiFi
networks. If setup with basic DHCP setting, a person does not need
"physical" access to the network, since it will dole out IP address to
anyone that had a WiFi card.
Pete