Re: [SLUG] redhat to debian and mysql

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 22:41:28 EDT

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:39:53AM -0700, Michael Manchester wrote:

> I had to reinstall my old Redhat 7.1 server and
> decided to go with debian. I backed up all my files
> before preceding with the install. And now I'm running
> into some difference which I'm hoping I can over come.
> One of which is the RedHat vs Debain apache install
> (config files are in different places. I think I've
> solved that one) But the one I can't figure out is the
> mysql. I installed mysql using apt-get and now would
> like to restore my database bases which I have a copy
> of from the redhat server "/var/lib/mysql/bookmarks4u"
> I tried to copy it to the debian install to
> /var/lib/mysql/bookmarks4u but I can't seem to get
> mysql to read it. What am I missing?

This is a _very_ dicey thing to do with PostgreSQL, and I imagine also
with MySQL. If you're going to do stuff like that, you should dump and
restore. Check mysqldump (1) and proceed from there. Restoration is:

mysql dbname < dumpfile.sql

per the man page for MySQL.

I know PostgreSQL, not MySQL, but I think they operate similarly in many
ways. Whenever, PostgreSQL raises its rev level to the next whole
number, that means a change in the internal format of the database
files. That means the new version won't necessarily read the old
version's files. MySQL may have a similar deal. Also, aside from your
actual database files, there are metadata files that may or may not be
in sync when you simply copy the database files over.

> Thanks
> Mike M.
> P.S. Has anyone seen a doc on converting from Redhat
> to Debain? It's not a streight forward has I had
> hoped.

Heh heh. There are a lot of Debian users who'd like to see that. You're
right. It's not straightforward at all. Wish I could help here.

Paul