Re: [SLUG] Gentoo Rantings

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 21:22:45 EDT

> For the people who have heard my rants about Gentoo at the Sarasota
> meeting:
>
> (some people who actually did the tests)
> http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1
>
> (general consensus)
> You get no speed up what so ever by spending a week installing/compiling
> Gentoo - and in most cases Debian is faster anyway. *grin*

The only case where this might not be true is with some of the athlon
chips, especially the tbirds, which reputedly ran very slowly with
unoptimized i386 code - although this may since have been resolved with
some internal reorganization in gcc.

Anyway, you can build any of your debian packages you choose using
`apt-get --build source ${packagename}` - or you can grab the source
(using the same command without the --build option), tweak the configure
options, and use dpkg to build the .deb binary.

Levi