Re: [SLUG] Linux VPNd for MS VPN clients

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 19:30:57 EDT

On Thursday 07 August 2003 03:41 pm, you wrote:
> Last month Robin said that an article would be coming out on how to
> access a Linux server via MS VPN. Did that ever appear in NewsForge and
> if so what was the title of the article,, I cannot find it.
>
> Michael C. Rock
> Systems Analyst
> Registered Linux User # 287973

There's a book called Building Linux Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) from
New Riders. It's a very good and easy read. It covers the general concept
and then goes into depth and implementations of various VPN's.

At the end of the chapter of PPTP (Windows tunnel) the authors say:

"We recognize that there are times when you must support PPTP, either
because you are forced to connect to a server that only runs PPTP or
because you need to support remote Windows client machines. In either of
these cases, we offer our deepest sympathies.

"In any case in which both endpoints support stronger VPN technology, such
as IPsec, we recommend that you avoid PPTP entirely.

--

Steve ______________________________________ This sig is pending approval