Re: [SLUG] Apache Debian and PHP almost working this is odd.

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 19:36:50 EDT

> As superior of
> a distro Debian is ::ducking::, I have found Debian assumes you *want*
> to hand edit all the config files and rarely makes assumptions about
> your configuration needs.

It's not that Debian assumes you want to hand-edit your config files. It realizes that you may have edited them, by hand, using a gui, web frontend, whatever. Thus, it's bad form for it to go stomping all over your config files every time a package is installed or upgraded, especially with the amount of installing/uninstalling/upgrading that can happen on a debian system attached to a big pipe. Additonally, IMO, it would be bad form anyway for the mod_php package (libapache-mod-php, I think) to touch a config file (httpd.conf) that isn't part of its own package.

Levi