[SLUG] win 2000 / linux question

From: William Coulter (wrcoulter30@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 20:57:18 EDT

I know that this is not a full linux question but I have to ask it. If you would, please respond
to me personally at wrcoulter30@yahoo.com.

Here is my question or problem. I have rebuild my PC. It was a intel p3-500. It is now a athlon
xp1600. Now when I put the dvd drive, cd-rw, hard drive, etc, in the new PC, the PC can't find
the hard drive.

I want you know that I have been doing this for a long time. So, I have done all of the basics,
checking the cables, power cords, BIOS, etc.

Now when I have done this with win 98 or me, I have had no problems. The system boots up and the
system says, hey I am in a new pc, what changes have you made to me? But this time I am using a
win 2000 dual booting with red hat linux 8.0. Here is the kicker. When I put the knoppix cd in
the PC it runs without any problems. In fact, it finds the win2k along with the rh 8.0
partitions. What do I have to do to make the PC boot with the hard drive. The error I get is "no
bootable dirve. boot failure." I have even used the win2k boot disks and use the repair option.
I know that the new mother board can acccess the hard drive as ata100 and the old mother board was
ata66 or 33. The only other thing, is that I am using the wrong cable, but I have never seen a
hard drive ack this way before from that.

William