Re: [SLUG] win 2000 / linux question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 00:09:15 EDT

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:57:18PM -0700, William Coulter wrote:

> I know that this is not a full linux question but I have to ask it.
> If you would, please respond
> to me personally at wrcoulter30@yahoo.com.
>
> Here is my question or problem. I have rebuild my PC. It was a intel
> p3-500. It is now a athlon
> xp1600. Now when I put the dvd drive, cd-rw, hard drive, etc, in the new
> PC, the PC can't find
> the hard drive.

You don't mention how these are situated on the IDE buses (I assume
they're all IDE devices). That is, IDE0, IDE1, master, slave, etc.

> I want you know that I have been doing this for a long time. So, I have
> done all of the basics,
> checking the cables, power cords, BIOS, etc.
>
> Now when I have done this with win 98 or me, I have had no problems.
> The system boots up and the
> system says, hey I am in a new pc, what changes have you made to me?
> But this time I am using a
> win 2000 dual booting with red hat linux 8.0. Here is the kicker. When I
> put the knoppix cd in
> the PC it runs without any problems. In fact, it finds the win2k along
> with the rh 8.0
> partitions.

Which means the drives work and all seems to be connected okay. Knoppix
has superior hardware sensing software, probably better than RH, FWIW.
But more importantly, it boots to the CD-ROM, and so bypasses the boot
sectors on the hard drive. Just for fun, you might run fdisk on the hard
drive and ensure that both the Windows and Linux partitions are marked
bootable. That's probably not the problem, though.

> What do I have to do to make the PC boot with the hard drive.
> The error I get is "no
> bootable dirve. boot failure." I have even used the win2k boot disks
> and use the repair option.

This will likely kill any boot loader from Linux.

> I know that the new mother board can acccess the hard drive as ata100 and
> the old mother board was
> ata66 or 33. The only other thing, is that I am using the wrong cable,
> but I have never seen a
> hard drive ack this way before from that.

A wrong cable will just slow down the drive, I believe.

Steven probably made the best suggestion. Ensure grub is installed as
the boot loader and make sure it understands your other partitions.

Paul