Re: [SLUG] win 2000 / linux question

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 01:15:23 EDT

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:57:18PM -0700, William Coulter wrote:
>
> > I know that the new mother board can acccess the hard drive as ata100 and
> > the old mother board was ata66 or 33. The only other thing, is that I am
> > using the wrong cable, but I have never seen a hard drive ack this way
> > before from that.
>
> A wrong cable will just slow down the drive, I believe.

Yes, in the case that the motherboard is capable of UDMA operation, but
you are using a 40-conductor (instead of an 80-conductor) cable. Then
it'll run in PIO mode. That's all IIRC.

But I don't think that's the problem. If Windows boots on the hardware,
and enables UDMA OK, then the hardware is probably OK. I'd look at the
bootloader situation.

You (the OP) might want to configure GRUB or LILO so you can choose at the
boot prompt which OS to boot. I installed Win98 natively on /dev/hda2 on
my machine, and it took the liberty of overwriting LILO's bootsector,
making it impossible to boot into Linux.

SAGITTARIUS:  All your friends are laughing behind your back... kill
them.  Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got
hanging in your den.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_