Re: [SLUG] win 2000 / linux question

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 10:35:04 EDT

The problem with this solution is that you are
changing chipsets... I know, it's been said before.
In other KB articles (I don't have a reference
number), it is known that W2K's Hardware Abstration
Layer (HAL)has problems changing chipsets... sometime
it just doesn't work.

What I've done in this situation is make a complete
backup of the drive.. via Ghost or maybe it can be
done by making an iso image of it... and then deleting
the HAL hive by putting the W2K drive into a working
W2K machine as a slave. Query MSKB or google for
specifics. Delete the HAL hive/reg and then try to
boot with repair.

Sometime the machine has a fit and dies... sometimes
it works :)

Good Luck.
Rob