Re: [SLUG] Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the Linux kernel!?!

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 09:02:38 EDT

><thor Nostradamus_hat="on">
>
>in the very near future, DRM will become a core component of the Linux
>kernel.
>
>source code will likely be included but not for the proprietary core logic
>(think binary drivers).
>
>the source code will include warnings in big letters against tampering with
>either the source or binaries under penalty of DMCA.
>
>the kernel will no longer be free as in free speech.

The Linux kernel is licensed unde the GPL. All code in the kernel -- SCO
yammer notwithstanding -- is free of patent or copyright encumbrances,
and since it is all GPL, you or I or the guy behind the tree over there
can modify and redistribute it to our heart's content.

There is already a major political backlash (in the U.S.) against
overly-aggresive attempts by Disney and other "content companies" to use
the government to protect their interests. This political backlash isn't
some guys in a corner wearing "We love Ralph Nader" shirts, but is being
funded by Intel, Microsoft, and many other large IT companies that are
afraid no one will buy "locked down" computers.

You need to have a little faith in our system. Historically, every time
the extremists -- whether they are advocating obnoxious computing
regulations or the idea that their religious ideals must become the law
of the land -- get too big for their britches, voters slap them down.

The Senate's biggest DRM proponent, Fritz Hollings (D-Disney) has
announced that he will not run for re-election, and a big reason is that
he has been stunned by the outrage his pro-digital rights activities
have unleashed on him. And that outrage isn't just me writing an
editorial or two, but major IT lobbying groups offering to fund
qualified opponents!

Stay paranoid. Let your elected reps know about your fears. Write those
letters to the editor. But don't lose hope. We will survive -- and keep
using Linux. :)

- Robin