Re: [SLUG] Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the Linux kernel!?!

From: thor_consulting@yahoo.com
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 08:20:03 EDT

i guess i'm not getting my message across...

quoted from the article:

"Linus Torvalds has made this very clear: he will accept patches supporting
Digital Rights Management (DRM)...

...Some patches already have been proposed, and by adopting them or others
into the kernel, Linus may be creating a foothold to prevent the eventual
criminalization of free software."

"prevent the eventual criminalization of free software"

if this doesn't sound portentous then i'm an idiot - 8^)

my huntch is:

<thor Nostradamus_hat="on">

in the very near future, DRM will become a core component of the Linux
kernel.

source code will likely be included but not for the proprietary core logic
(think binary drivers).

the source code will include warnings in big letters against tampering with
either the source or binaries under penalty of DMCA.

the kernel will no longer be free as in free speech.

</thor>

and my huntches are usually somewhere in the ballpark.

maybe i'm just being parnoid but even paranoids...

thor