Re: [SLUG] Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the Linux kernel!?!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 22:58:05 EDT

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:21:30AM -0400, thor_consulting@yahoo.com wrote:

<snip>

> Linus T. as the creator of Linux and it's
> "benevolent dictator" has always maintained absolute control over the
> development of the Linux kernel.

This is and isn't true. No commercial Linux distro ships with a stock
kernel. They're all patched. Linus has no objection to people altering
the kernel as they like.

> I can't imagine the pressure Linus is
> feeling from both DRM and anti-DRM advocates over this matter

Bear in mind that Linus has alway been pretty agnostic about free
software. He uses BitKeeper for his version control system. And it's
kinda hard to pressure Linus. He keeps his own counsel on most things.

> but the
> inclusion of DRM in the kernel coupled with the anti-tampering provisions of
> the DMCA will mean that the Linux kernel will no longer be free as in free
> speech.

Such patches would still be "Open Source". "Free software" means a lot
of things, but mostly what it means is you get the source, and you get
to tinker with it as you like, and redistribute it. Nothing in DRM
patches violates this.

We're in a continual battle against Microsoft and media companies to
protect our ability to have a free flow of information. DeCSS is
software that defeats one aspect of this. Open Office breaks the
monopoly of "only Microsoft software can read Microsoft files." DRM may
be part of an evil scheme on its face. But if we can have Open Source
software that allows us to read DRM'd content, we're simply following a
time-honored Open Source tradition.

Paul