Re: [SLUG] Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the Linux kernel!?!

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 00:44:09 EDT

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 10:58 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:21:30AM -0400, thor_consulting@yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Linus T. as the creator of Linux and it's
> > "benevolent dictator" has always maintained absolute control over the
> > development of the Linux kernel.
>
> This is and isn't true. No commercial Linux distro ships with a stock
> kernel. They're all patched. Linus has no objection to people altering
> the kernel as they like.
>
> > I can't imagine the pressure Linus is
> > feeling from both DRM and anti-DRM advocates over this matter
>
> Bear in mind that Linus has alway been pretty agnostic about free
> software. He uses BitKeeper for his version control system. And it's
> kinda hard to pressure Linus. He keeps his own counsel on most things.
>
> > but the
> > inclusion of DRM in the kernel coupled with the anti-tampering
> > provisions of the DMCA will mean that the Linux kernel will no longer
> > be free as in free speech.
>
> Such patches would still be "Open Source". "Free software" means a lot
> of things, but mostly what it means is you get the source, and you get
> to tinker with it as you like, and redistribute it. Nothing in DRM
> patches violates this.
>
> We're in a continual battle against Microsoft and media companies to
> protect our ability to have a free flow of information. DeCSS is
> software that defeats one aspect of this. Open Office breaks the
> monopoly of "only Microsoft software can read Microsoft files." DRM may
> be part of an evil scheme on its face. But if we can have Open Source
> software that allows us to read DRM'd content, we're simply following a
> time-honored Open Source tradition.
>
> Paul

Hmm, good reply! : ) Well put!

--

Steve ________________________________________________ Sigless? Sign here for a free signature! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.