Re: [SLUG] Good, Fast and Cheap?

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 17:54:04 EDT

On Friday 15 August 2003 08:12 am, you wrote:
> I need the income, but should I compromise my standards?
>
> Any advice?
> Russ

Having read the comments coming in on this I need to make an addendum to my
advice.

Each one of us here have different conditions. Some are in a better way,
some in less fortunate way. Some people are just naturally good on getting
out of trouble. Others are not.

Ultimately I've learned that what works for me works for me, and not
necessarily others, To compete in business I don't think one have to
violate ones integrity. Though some will swear you do. Go figure.

The only thing I've found works when I have to make a hard decision, is to
decide both for and against something. Each time I ask my heart how that
feels. Then I go by the one that feels best. Staying true to me. Obviously
I have to live with the consequences.

Every now and then things pop up in life. I have been in situations where I
had to do things that I would normally not do. For example as a kid of 19 I
decided to leave Sweden for the US. Being a bit short on money I decided to
try to do some quick labor work in the docks. There you can come and go as
you please. No lying about your intentions about staying required.

Within two days we were unloading this UN ship that was carrying fancy
chocolate and stuff from Denmark. These big guys shows up and tell me I
have to put on an extra overall and board the ship, seek out the good stuff
and fill my pockets! Steal like a mother.... in other words!

In disbelief I refused and almost got beaten up until I agreed.

I realized that dock workers routinely steal. They had to make me one of
them, a thief, so that I would not rat them out. So I violated my
integrity. But let me tell you, I left the next day and found some other
quick work that did not require stealing. I did not come up with a reason
to make it right as one often do, once having made the wrong decision.

Having traveled big parts of the world I have observed that people with less
education often have not had the opportunities of better educated people.
Education which have given a better understanding of life in society. Thus
making it easier to not be in so much effect of it. (Supposedly.)

If my experience have taught me anything it is that the moment I stop liking
myself, to that degree I stop helping myself. It fast becomes a slippery
slope. If you do end up going down that slope. Make sure you know one
thing. Exactly why you went down it. Later you may want to climb up again.

I have walked out of companies where I felt I would sell myself out. It has
not always been easy. In tough times it gets even harder. But I would do it
again, in a heart beat. But that is my decision.

Each day offers different conditions and opportunities in life. I try to
make the best of each condition I find myself in, and follow My heart by
holding My council!

--

Steve ______________________________________ This sig is pending approval