Re: [SLUG] Debian woody and nfs

From: Matt Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 14:48:37 EDT

It seems to me as if you're confusing the "install from NFS" feature of
the Debian install, from the ability to have NFS installed. Just boot
off of the first CD (the bf2.4 "flavor" is currently experimental), and
install the system.

You don't indicate if you want an NFS client or NFS server. The client
functionality should be provided in the "nfs-common" package. If you
want an NFS server, an "apt-get install nfs-kernel-server portmap"
/should/ install everything you need. The NFS-HOWTO is certainly
helpful for further help, and anything I may have inadvertently left
out.

Thus spake Michael Manchester on the 16 day of the 08 month in the year 2003:

> OK. I don't get this. I installed Debian woody from
> the 6 cd set off of www.linux.iso.org
>
> If I put the first cd in boot from it and just press
> enter. My network card is found the network is setup
> so I can do the install from the debian.org. But there
> are no modules for nfs nor can I seem to get nfs to
> work. If I boot from the bf24 cd which is the 2.4
> kernel. Then I get the chance to install the nfs file
> system but my network isn't found so networking
> doesn't work.
>
> Do I need to boot with the first cd and then select
> df24 as the install method for the network card to be
> found? Just booting of the df24 cd doesn't seem to
> work but booting off of the cd1 seems to find the
> network card? I'm stumpped here.
>
> You would think that selecting triditional unix
> servers from the taskselect would install nfs. Isn't
> that a triditional unix server?

Well...not necessarily. And it depends on what you mean by
"conventional unix server" (which, not to pick nits, is what the task is
actually called). The task contains very basic things such as telnet,
manpages (yes, the bare-bones debian install is so scantly clad as to not
contain manpages!), finger, traceroute, and a handful of other things.

--
Matthew Moen