Re: [SLUG] Linux video training

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 18:27:30 EDT

FWIW, some time ago I got a free video (VHS) titled "Learning Linux --
Introduction" for my wife. When it first started I was taken aback when
the instructor (a female no less!) pronounced it LYEnix, but it turned
out to be an ok intro tape. It runs about an hour, deals only with the
command line and covers Linus Torvalds, "open source", logging on,
command line switches, command line tips and tricks, dirctory
management, listing files, the JOE editor(?!), man pages, file
management, sending email, and printing. I actually learned a few new
things myself.

I'm sure it's no longer available but it came from www.learn2.com. I
don't think it's what you have in mind. It would give a newbie the
impression that Linux is all about the command line. They didn't even
use an xterm -- juat a plain ugly black console.

If someone wants to take a gander at it for ideas(good and bad) contact
me off list and we can arrange a loan of the video. I guess I should
probably donate it to the public library but then there's that absent
GUI thing.

Ed.