Re: [SLUG] Debian...I GIVE UP! Anyone else?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 19:29:42 EDT

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 11:56:37AM -0400, Levi Bard wrote:

> Regarding apt, dselect, synaptic, and aptitude (in no particular order):
> <IMO>
> I have had nothing but terrible outcomes with dselect. It does not
> calculate dependencies correctly, often leading to circular dependencies
> (in which case you cannot install/uninstall a particular package or set of
> packages), circular recommendations (i.e. package x recommends package y,
> package y recommends package x, then you go back and forth between
> recommendation screens until your enter key disintegrates), incorrect
> dependencies (removing galeon will force the following packages to be
> removed: everything), and so on.
>
> I had a better experience with aptitude, but by the time I became aware of
> it, I was already used to using apt from the command line, and didn't have
> much day-to-day use for it.

I've rarely had circular dependencies with dselect, and when I do, I can
manage to get out of them. But you're saying you _don't_ have that
problem with aptitude?

I tried aptitude once, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Probably, I
just didn't want to take the time to figure it out, since dselect
worked for me. But aptitude does seem to perform faster, and is visually
slicker than dselect.

Paul