Re: [SLUG] temporary file maintainence

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 09:40:50 EDT

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 ethan@ethanzimmerman.com wrote:

> Where are all the my temporary files (web cache, cookies, general temp files)
> and log files?

For Netscape, I have a directory /var/tmp/ns-cache/eben that holds its
cache, and I wanted to make a similar one for Opera, but I can't find a
"cache location" selection, so its cache is in ~/.opera/cache4 .

I think a large factor might be a huge cache size, Mine are at
Netscape=5M, Opera=2M. If they're too large, the web browser spends more
time searching for it than it would fetching it again. That means the
break-even point gets larger with slower connections and faster
CPUs/drives.

> My system's getting slower and I'm pretty sure it's temp files
> residue and log files the size of redwoods.

Check /var/log for log files. You should get logrotate, if you don't have
it. Always shrink log files by running daemons by "> logfile" not
"cp emptyfile logfile"; it keeps the inode the same.

> Any info on how to manage this build up is appreciated.

I also have tmpwatch, or you can manually clean out /tmp . Careful of
links!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken