Re: [SLUG] temporary file maintainence

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 09:33:58 EDT

On Thursday 21 August 2003 09:52 pm, you wrote:
> Where are all the my temporary files (web cache, cookies, general temp
> files) and log files? My system's getting slower and I'm pretty sure it's
> temp files residue and log files the size of redwoods. Any info on how to
> manage this build up is appreciated. I'm running red hat 9.
>
> return 0;

Actually on a unix type system these things do not generally "pile up"
unless the default values are changed. Take log files. They are added onto
until a certain size or amount of time has reached then they are recycled.

Due to the efficiencies of the file system (ext3) you get very little
fragmentation. I'm not really sure how big your cookies could get but I
doubt it would come to a point of slowing down your system.

You can find log files in /var/log/, cookies in your browsers sub dir.

What is more likely is that you don't have enough RAM and are swapping to
disk a lot. Run top from a shell and look at the bottom line of the top
section. It says Swap: The second value is the amount of used swap space.

I'd bet your last shirt that it's a pretty big number.

Modern window managers like Gnome and KDE eat a lot of RAM. I won't build a
desktop box with anything less than 512M to avoid swapping. (I'm sure you
know what swapping is but just in case... In laymen terms: To solve the
problem of what happens when you run out of RAM a system has been built
which makes your swap partition emulate RAM. So when it runs out of RAM it
simply uses the swap space. Under Unixes it's a partition and under windows
it's a file. Since reading a spinning platter is a lot slower than
accessing RAM it takes a lot more time to get things done once it goes to
swap.

You have two choices really. Add more RAM or use a smaller windows manager.
I'd say all others (but Gnome and KDE) are a lot smaller.

--

Steve ______________________________________ This sig is pending approval ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.