Re: [SLUG] temporary file maintainence

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 10:36:10 EDT

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Steve wrote:

> (I'm sure you know what swapping is but just in case... In laymen terms:
> To solve the problem of what happens when you run out of RAM a system
> has been built which makes your swap partition emulate RAM. So when it
> runs out of RAM it simply uses the swap space. Under Unixes it's a
> partition and under windows it's a file.

Generally it's a partition under *ix. You can also use a file. There's
even a way to use Windows' swap file if you double-boot.

> You have two choices really. Add more RAM or use a smaller windows manager.
> I'd say all others (but Gnome and KDE) are a lot smaller.

Yup.

LEO:  Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple
it to your boss' face, oh no.  Eat a bucket of banana pudding
and wash it down with a gallon of strawberry Quik.  -- Weird Al