Re: [SLUG] Knoppix Install

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 11:30:38 EDT

> I'm continuously surprised at how little exposure XFS gets and how few
> of these specialized distros pay any attention to it. I guess because
> it's not in the mainstream kernel, people assume that it's Just Not
> Ready Yet, despite the fact that SGI announced the release of v1.3.0
> stable today - the fourth major release of the Linux codebase. To some
> extent I also "blame" RedHat for pushing ext3 so hard for all I can
> assume are strange political reasons.
In my case, it isn't any of those things at all - more a matter of
laziness. All my systems have had ext2 since before there were usable
versions of ext3 or reiser, and when ext3 came along, and I could just
"enable" it by making journals, rather than reformatting all my
filesystems, I said, "Why not?" Additionally, I don't toy with my kernels
as much as I used to back in the days when I was applying 3 different
patches to an early 2.4 prerelease kernel; I tend to use fairly vanilla
kernels now.

> In most benchmarks, and from a user-experience perspective, XFS performs
> much better than ext3 and has a much longer history of development and
> engineering, and above all, was written from the ground-up and is NOT an
> ugly hack on top of an older, non-journaled filesystem...
I'm sure you're right about performance; I don't thrash the disks enough
to take the trouble.

> Maybe once 2.6 stabilizes, with XFS as part of the core distro, XFS will
> gain more popularity.
Definitely - many people are too lazy to apply kernel patches, or leery of
building their own kernels at all.

Levi