Re: [SLUG] Robins Outlook Story Mentioned On Tv!

From: VT (vt1@gte.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 11:28:56 EDT

At 09:38 PM 8/22/2003, bpreece1 wrote:
>Tonight on TechTv it was hosted by Kevin Rhodes and Wil Wheaton from Star
>Trek Next Generation.
>Wil was plugging open Source and Linux ever second he could.
>
>Next he mentioned Robins Story on Tv about Outlook!
>Thought it was a cool and nice touch.
>
>And this was on there webpage for Tech Tv
>http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3492034,00.html
>
>Outlook alternatives
>Wil talks about a Robin Miller article that calls Microsoft Outlook and
>Outlook Express users, "the computer equivalent of Typhoid Mary." Wil
>recommends Eudora as an alternative to Outlook.
>
>Will check and let you know when it re-airs for anyone intrested.
>Bill Preece

This is in no way a "Defence of Microsoft", but, any halfway decent AV
program coupled with Outlook/Express will protect against virii/worms. I
use Outlook with a business Exchange server and a copy of Panda Platinum,
and I've never had a virii, even after a client was hit with LoveBug a
while ago and I was getting 100 infected emails an hour. I also prefer
Eudora and use it with EZ-Trust ezAV on my home W2K box. Again, I've
received numerous SoBig virus/worm email (all spam mail BTW), but between
my POPFile filtering and my AV, all I do is dump the trash to remove the
emails and payloads.

The biggest problem is education and proper instillation of protection.

That is all...

VT