[SLUG] Re: slug] Robins Outlook Story Mentioned On Tv!

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 10:25:35 EDT

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, VT wrote:

> This is in no way a "Defence of Microsoft", but, any halfway decent AV
> program coupled with Outlook/Express will protect against virii/worms. I

Perhaps locally, but view the problem as a public health one.

Wash your hands, wear latex gloves, and all the rest and you
may not directly contact an infection.

But the water system is fouled with the bodies of the dead and
the fields are not harvested and the water cannot be safely
inbibed. You'll starve, or perish of thirst, or suffer the
dislocations which such precautions require.

So it was with the Blaster worm -- I had 40,000 plus instances
on the mailservers I admin last Monday and Tuesday, until I
got a clear procmail rule in place to devnull them. But as
each one was 100k, there was 4 G of bandwidth lost to pure
rot, and spindle space needed exceeded local space available.

Accordingly email had to queue up on more distant MX servers,
and delivery order and timlimess was impaired. A permanent
loss was suffered by ALL users alike, without any prospect of
getting those hours back.

Local protection is needed, perhaps -- a virus scanner, or an
immune operating environment -- but it is not enough.

- Russ Herrold