Re: [SLUG] Here is the RR bounce message

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 14:31:24 EDT

On Sunday 24 August 2003 07:56 am, you wrote:
> This is the message RR gives:
>
> host flmx03.mgw.rr.com[65.32.1.49] said: 550 5.7.1
> Mail Refused - rr.com_Residential_Range - See
> http://security.rr.com/residential.htm
>
> Least, that is the relevant portion.

Ah, this is what RR has designated to be a "residential" ip range. Have
nothing to do with ip addresses. I.e. there's no term related to ip that
identifies if it is residential or not.

RR has a list of ip ranges a number of ISP's use to sell to their
residential customers. It has been arbitrarily assigned to by those ISP's.
Mostly only very large ISP's use the term residential ip ranges, or
allocate ip ranges to be identified as residential. Thus this is only
workable with ISPs that do that.

What RR says on that link is that if you are trying to send mail from
another network than RR, using RR as the send mail service, they will
refuse it. Thus if you run a send mail service on your residential service,
for other people, they will block it.

This is normal as it stops you from having an open relay where others can
spam through your account (which after all is on their servers).

Realize that since it is only blocking outsiders from using your private
account to send mail from, to you or others. I never noticed this for my
external accounts as they are external accounts who have their own send
mail service and does not depend on RR mail servers for delivery.

All ISP's should use this policy. If it was the true spamming would be very
easily stopped and traced in most cases.

--

Steve _________________________________________________ This sig is pending approval by SCO's legal team. Licensing fee's expected to be "fair", i.e. $999. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.