Re: [SLUG] Player for .mov and .rm recordings = ?

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 07:36:12 EDT

On Monday 25 August 2003 18:45, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> > >
> > > mplayer plays some *.mov (I guess it depends on the codec used). I
> > > have RealPlayer 7, and it works with most *.r[am] files.
> >
> > Real Player is very similar to the old Netscape.
> > If you recall Netscape always reported to Net Central Command for ever
> > action on a computer you performed.
> > Real Player reports to Real Central Command about every song you play.
>
> If you happen to know what port, or protocol, or URL (if protocol=HTTP) it
> uses, I might be able to block it.

Blocking the ports to me that is not the issue.

There always has been and always will be McBrides and SCOs.

The only thing McBride and SCO have at the moment that thousands [there are
millions] of other companies don't have [in the computer world] is the
spotlight.

Now it is completely unreasonable to go search for such companies.
You will never find a tenth of them.
Like wise it is completely irrational to live in fear of them.
Most probable they are less than 1% of companies.
But only a stupit idiot coes and plays with someone who has been proven to be
a bully, lier, cheat, con maon et. - another words the SCO and McBride of
the worls.

Scanning one's computer for data is ethically equivalent to searching one's
house.
For the McBrides and SCOs and Netscapes and Real Players and RIAA and MPAA of
the worls they have no legal right to search your house.
Likewise they should equally have no right to search your computer.

For the police when they suspect you of criminal activity with a search
warrent issued by an apporiate court searching your house or computer is
another issue.

The only question to me is "What can I do about this with my limited power?"
The only prudent answer to this is to evaid such companies like the pleg.
Just as you would any person with these ethics in real life.

The answer to me then with this question is:
No to Mozilla
No to Real Player
No to the RIAA
and
No to MPAA.

Now since I cannot stop them from trying to search it I certaintly have made
it as difficult as I can.

Frank