Re: [SLUG] Debian CDs at Sarasota meeting tomorrow (Tues)

From: Matt Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 08:46:11 EDT

Assuming you have fast Internet access, you really don't need a CD set.

Try downloading one of these tiny images:
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Just the other day I did an install with the third link on that page
(David Kimdon's boot-floppies) with great success. Far more enjoyable
than creating boot floppies.

These minimal CD images essentially contain the contents of a set of
initial install floppies (between 2 and 10 or so floppies), and contain
just enough of the Debian system to allow you to apt-get the rest.
The process typically runs something like this:
-Boot off of the minimal CD.
-Answer a bunch of questions regarding the type of keyboard you have,
hard drive partitioning, and other critical things, copy the initial
distribution off of the CD, set up networking, and a few other tasks
which aren't coming quickly with only one cup of coffee. ;-)
-Reboot the system and finish the install by picking two or three Debian
mirrors, and a handful of package collections. This will be followed by
about an hour's worth downloading, and at least 20 minutes of software
installing afterwards. Probably much longer than 20 minutes if you've
selected lots of Debian packages (there /are/ several CD's worth) and
your hardware is modest.

If you haven't looked at the Debian Install guide, it probably wouldn't
hurt: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

See you at the meeting this evening.

-Matt

Thus spake Eric Jahn on the 25 day of the 08 month in the year 2003:
> I want to trash my Suse install. Does anybody going to the Sarasota
> meeting tomorrow have Sarge install disks? I was going to download them
> off the net, but there are like 10 CD isos!

Matthew Moen