Re: [SLUG] Debian CDs at Sarasota meeting tomorrow (Tues)

From: Daniel Holth (dholth@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 09:01:15 EDT

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 08:46, Matt Moen wrote:
> Assuming you have fast Internet access, you really don't need a CD set.
>
> Try downloading one of these tiny images:
> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> Just the other day I did an install with the third link on that page
> (David Kimdon's boot-floppies) with great success. Far more enjoyable
> than creating boot floppies.

I agree that if you have something fast like ADSL or perhaps a cable
modem (or perhaps eight modems connected in parallel) this is a great
way to go. I highly recommend a network install, 1) because you get the
latest packages right away and 2) because it's cool :-)

But for Debian I like starting with Knoppix, because Knoppix configures
most everything for you and it has a more up to date version of XFree86
(translucent mouse cursors!).

I've net installed redhat, mandrake and debian, over ADSL, on different
partitions of the same box, and while it takes a long time (especially
with RH and Mandrake where you don't actually have a runnning system at
all until it's done installing) it's quite convenient and edifying.

- Daniel Holth