Re: [SLUG] Microsoft websites / services / messenger - DOWN???

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 20:54:47 EDT

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, John Gould wrote:

> MSN,com, microsoft.com both time out. Not just that, but I am having a
> lot of DNS issues lately too. Pings by IP were fine, but no name
> resolution. Thought it might have been my router, but I put the DNS
> servers into my network settings, and I am still having the problem.
> Something is definately wrong with RR lately.

I can't say what the problem is exactly, but I recently got RR service and
can confirm that their DNS servers are extremely flaky. I run a local
nameserver on my home network, and usually forward queries to my ISP, but
in this case RR's DNS service is too unreliable.

The basic symptom is that random queries just fail for no particular
reason (names that I know to be valid). No timeout was involved, the
query would immediately fail. I didn't look into it any further, simply
stopped forwarding queries through their nameservers and everything works
great now.

Perhaps it's some kind of rate-limiting functionality on their nameservers
as a response to the recent Windows worms/virii, but that's just a SWAG.