Re: [SLUG] Just in case the SCO thing doesn't work out MS has a backup plan

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 15:44:19 EDT

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 10:13 am, you wrote:
> If MS is unable to stop Linux with there backing for
> SCO they have anther plan. Though I'm sure they won't
> admit to it.
>
> The new rights management tools splinter to some
> extent the long-standing interoperability of Office
> formats. Until now, PC users have been able to count
> on opening and manipulating any document saved in
> Microsoft Word's ".doc" format or Excel's ".xls" in
> any compatible program, including older versions of
> Office and competing packages such as Sun
> Microsystems' StarOffice and the open-source
> OpenOffice. But rights-protected documents created in
> Office 2003 can be manipulated only in Office 2003.
>
> read more here
> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5069246.html
>
> Mike M.

My take is that this will hurt them more than us. Loosing backward
compatibility etc. Only specific industries will buy it.
We'll see a lot ore people moving to OpenOffice as a result.

On the inside track I've gotten that MS has a strategy to alienate all users
that wish to use Linux. They want to make it clear that once they move they
will be left in a void.

All efforts are being played into forcing people to choose one and only one
side. And if you go to Linux you'll be forever shunned. They want you to
think that it will be too "costly" to be on our side.

Of course this may not play out like they plan... hehe.

--

Steve _________________________________________________ This sig is pending approval by SCO's legal team. Licensing fee's expected to be "fair", i.e. $999. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.