Re: [SLUG] Debian help with errors in daemon.log

From: kwan@digitalhermit.com
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 10:22:27 EDT

> I know the following error is related to the real time
> clock module but don't know why or how to get it
> working. Any insite here would be appricated. Unless
> of courese it's not needed and I can just comment it
> out of the modules.conf file.
> Sep 3 22:00:05 tango modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
> module char-major-10-135

Make sure that the RTC clock option is built as a module in your kernel
config. In the kernel config, go to Character Devices | Enhanced Real Time
Clock and build it as a module. Also make sure that the /dev/ device
exists.

> I have a feeling the following is why NFS isn't
> working. But why the nfssvc functions is not
> implemented I don't know I have installed and
> reinstalled all the nfs dep files at least once.
> Sep 3 22:01:10 tango nfsd[245]: nfssvc: Function not
> implemented

Do you have NFS Server Support enabled in the kernel? Look in the kernel
config for File Systems|Network File Systems and enable NFS Server
Support. You can also get similar errors if there are connectivity issues
between machines.

> Why do I not have a xinetd.conf file? I have a
> inetd.conf file can I copy this to xinetd.conf? Should
> I just uninstall xinetd and use inetd? Do I need both
> or just one of them?
> Sep 3 22:01:16 tango xinetd[355]: open(
> /etc/xinetd.conf ) failed: No such file or directory
> (e

The inetd.conf is a different format than xinetd.conf. I prefer xinetd but
depending on your needs, there may be no difference. Here's my
xinetd.conf:
---snip
defaults
{
        instances = 60
        log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success = HOST PID
        log_on_failure = HOST
        cps = 25 30
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d
---snip

The /etc/xinetd.d contains entries similar to:

# default: off
clients. \
# This is the tcp version.

service echo