[SLUG] Slack 9.0, S3virge/dx, DPMS

From: Tom Suzda (suzda@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 14:40:26 EDT

Ok, it's time to turn to the group for help. I've never seen this before, and
there doesn't seem to be too much in google about it.

The wife wanted to try linux. So I formated her hard disk, put W98 back on
half and Slackware 9.0 on the other half. She has an old S3 Virge/dx video
card on the system that works fine in Windows. The monitor is a standard NEC
MultiSync XV17. DPMS power down works fine in windows. Using XFree86-4.3.0,
which came with Slack 9.0, DPMS does all kinds of strange things.

I have the Option 'dpms' in monitor subsection
I have the Option "off time" "10"

If I just let it alone, after 10 minutes the monitor goes 'dim'. Looks like
it's running at half power. Checking the display mode from the OSD, it says
my H & V polarity are now composite, instead of positive when it's running
normally.

I then try a xset dpms force off, which does in fact put the monitor into
power down mode. I wake it up, and it then works fine 10 minutes later, going
into power down mode. Now I wake it up, use it a few minutes, and now after
10 minutes it goes back into it's 'dim' composite signal mode.

I leave all the computers powered up 24 X 7, and the last thing I have to do
at night is see if her monitor powered down, or I'll just hit the power
switch on the monitor and worry about it another time.

I've been playing with this off and on for a week now, and I'm at a loss. Is
the S3virge driver broke in XFree? What else could I look at?

Thanks,

Tom