Re: [SLUG] IBM's Linux TV Commercial

From: Norbert Cartagena (gnorb@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 13:27:08 EDT

> Another real-life note is that sysadmins in large (and even many
> smaller) companies don't just deal with one OS. You're likely to see
> Unix -- and increasingly Linux -- on servers, Windows on most desktops,
> Mac on many artists's and graphic designers' desktops, and possibly
> Linux on some software developers' workstations, with more potential
> Linux desktop penetration coming, especially for single-application
> machines you find on desks in call centers or running retail POS terminals.
>
> - Robin

A good example of this is Verizon (for which, I am happy to say, I no
longer have the misfortune of working for). Their systems ran a bit like
this:

- User desktops: Windows 95/NT/2000/XP (just being adopted)
- Developer desktops/environments: Red Hat Linux & SuSE Linux (Running
KDE, with VMware when they're in need of Windows) - This is what they
use to do most of the internal product development.
- Midrange servers and Tech support desktops: Windows 2000 and Solaris,
some Linux scattered about (on the servers).
- Mainframe servers: AS/400, MVS, Unix (AIX, I believe, I might be
wrong, though), and SuSE Linux for some of their commercial mainframes.

*Note: Macs have been left out, although I wouldn't be surprised if some
of the marketing groups used that as their main platform.

Just a bit of generally useless knowledge.

Gnorb