Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 12:03:13 EDT

It shouldn't be too hard to install real player. Just download the
binary from Real.com, run it as root, create a directory for the thing
to install into (I use /usr/local/RealPlayer8), and then after it has
installed, go back to your normal user and cd into the RealPlayer8
directory. Run the mimeinstall and pluginstall scripts.

I can't remember if you have to copy or link the plugins in
/usr/lib/netscape to /usr/lib/mozilla since Real Player sets things up
for Netscape, but if things don't work try it.

I tried gnucash and it works, or at least did when I tried it- but then
I use the Debian unstable branch. I just installed and tried it again
and version 1.8.5 installs and works. Just remember that the list of
packages are kept on your system, and updated whenever you do an apt-get
update. If you are having problems installing something, make sure you
do an apt-get update first.

The Debian web site (http://www.debian.org) has a page where you can
search for packages, or the pacakge that any file is in. It will show
requirements and other information. You can do the same with
apt-cache search gnucash (for gnucash, as an example) .

scott