Re: [SLUG] linux and kiosks

From: kwan@digitalhermit.com
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 18:41:02 EDT

> I need to build a specialized kiosk application for a friend.
> A few questions come to mind.
>
> 1) Anyone have any experience with touchscreens and Linux?
> Under Winhoze, touchscreens act like a mouse. No special
> programming required. That would be nice if it works that way under
> Linux.

XFree has some support for various touchscreens:
http://www.kiosktouch.co.kr/korean/elo_site/linux.html

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XFree86-Touch-Screen-HOWTO.html

You may also want to look at Metro-X from a former company I worked with (
http://www.metrolink.com). It's no longer supported, but has support for a
variety of touchscreens.

> 2) I am guessing that I could programmatically turn off the
> machine since I can do that from my desktop.
> a) How?

init 0

> b) How well does Linux tolerate just having its machine
> turned off?

You can make it work. One trick is to keep as much mount read-only as
possible. You'll need some writable space, but you can use RAM or a
partitiion if needed.