Re: [SLUG] hdd

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 22:38:20 EDT

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Maurice Wilson wrote:

> I have a second small drive that I keep stuff backed to that was
> formatted and set up with windows but has worked well with Mandrake.
> My problem is when Debian boots up it mounts as" Hard Disk Partition (hdc1)"
> there is an icon on the desk top and I can access the drive and xfer
> data to the Debian drive BUT I can't write to the drive or create a
> folder on the drive.

Look in /etc/fstab for lines beginning with /dev/hdc1 . See if 'ro' is in
the fourth column. If so, change it to 'rw' (if the filesystem is not
NTFS); if not, add 'rw' (ditto). If the filesystem is NTFS, it's
dangerous to mount it rw. In that case, you're better off sharing data
through a FAT32 partition that both OSes can read from and write to.

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk