Re: [SLUG] Linux printing

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 10:24:36 EDT

Do you have smbclient installed? Try the command

smbclient -L (the windows machine name)

and you should see a list of what is available to you on the windows
machine, including your HP printer.

Once you see the printer is available, you should be able to select it
in CUPS as a windows printer via SAMBA. Without the necessary SAMBA
stuff, you will be out of luck.

One thing that had me grinding my teeth for a while was figuring out why
I could no longer print to one of the shared printers when we replaced a
computer this summer (going from Windows98 to WindowsXP home edition).
I finally tried changing the device from smb://machine/printer to
smb://guest@machine/printer (of course, I used the machine's name and
printer share name). That got me going again.

scott