[SLUG] Debian upgrade errors

From: Michael Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 19:17:15 EDT

After a system lockup and a run of fsck I can't do a
system upgrade Here is the errors I'm getting from
apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Error!
W: Encountered status field in a non-version
description
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be
parsed or opened.

I've restored the /var/lib/dpkg/status file from a
backup but no luck in getting apt to work. Does this
requre a reinstall to fix?

Thanks
Mike M

=====