Re: [SLUG] Debian upgrade errors

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 22:13:46 EDT

On Monday 15 September 2003 19:17 pm, Michael Manchester wrote:
> After a system lockup and a run of fsck I can't do a
> system upgrade Here is the errors I'm getting from
> apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is your problem. You need to fix the Packages file. The packages in this
file are all listed, and have a number of different fields. In this error,
I'd say that you've got a missing header. You've got do a search through this
very big file for something that looks like this:

Package:

IOW, it's blank. You need to find out what your missing package's name is, and
fill that in, or delete the entire group of fields that go with that package.
Of course, in taking the second option, you risk all kinds of Bad Things(tm),
since this may be a key dependency...OTOH, it may be nothing important at
all...

If it were me, I'd look for the Packages.gz file on the debian ftp archive for
your particular setup (stable/testing/unstable), and then diff the two to
find out where your error is. Or, replace it with the new one...

HTH

Russell