Re: [SLUG] Debian Drive Mounting

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 13:55:55 EDT

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Maurice Wilson wrote:

> Levi Bard wrote:
>
> >OK, I assume you're running GNOME or KDE, and the problem lies in an
> >inconsistency between the desktop file manager and your /etc/fstab. The
> >error message shows that it's trying to either mount to /mnt/cdrom or read
> >/mnt/cdrom when you click the icon. However, the cdrom line in your fstab
> >is showing that the default mount point for your cdrom is /cdrom , not
> >/mnt/cdrom . Does /mnt/cdrom exist on your system? If not, I suggest
> >creating it, by either making a directory with that name, or, better yet,
> >making it a symbolic link to /cdrom (`ln -s /cdrom /mnt/cdrom`). Same
> >thing with the floppy and whatever else.
> >
> Remember you are talking to somewhat a newbee here so I need to know
> where to create the directories or better yet to put the symbolic link
>
> (`ln -s /cdrom /mnt/cdrom`) Maury

I would vote for the other approach -- change the mount point to
/mnt/cdrom and make /cdrom a link to /mnt/cdrom , as the GUI might ask
the system whether anything is mounted on /mnt/cdrom (the answer would
always be "no, it's a link"). To do this,

make sure no CDROM is mounted
edit /etc/fstab
 change "/cdrom" to "/mnt/cdrom"
 save and exit
rmdir /cdrom
mkdir /mnt/cdrom
ln -s /cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Or tell the GUI that the mount point in question is /cdrom , which is
probably the best solution. Heck if I know how to do that, as I've never
used Gnome and have used KDE only briefly (5 years ago on HP-UX doesn't
count).

GEMINI:  Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive
flatulence. Your love life will run into trouble when your fiancee hurls a
javelin through your chest.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_