Re: [SLUG] Debian - Just X and KDE 3.1.3

From: Matt Miller (Matthew.Miller@wellcare.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 10:56:06 EDT

On Friday 19 September 2003 10:27 am, you wrote:
> thanks matt. just wondering, is there some sort of inherent
> incompatibility between the standard woody xfree and KDE 3.1.3? or did you
> include http://people.fsn.hu/~pasztor/debian because you know it works
> well?

The standard woody xfree is dated. For example, in order to commmunicate to my
Radeon Mobility on my laptop, I need something newer. I saw you were getting
a "no screens found" error. If you look at your /var/log/Xfree86.0.log, you
will probably see an error about being unable to communicate with your video
card. Oftentimes updating your xserver to a newer version fixes this. I use
the 4.2 xfree source on all my systems and can attest to its reliability.

Once you update, run XFree86 -configure. This command will auto-create an
XFConfig-4 file for you. Run the command listed after the configure to test
the file, and move into your /etc/X11 directory if it works.

I've found the XFree86 -configure usually sets your mouse to auto. You may
have to edit the XFConfig-4 file and change it to ps/2 or imps/2.

Matt

Matt