Re: [SLUG] Slow Console

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 18:13:53 EDT

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:57:34PM -0400, Rock wrote:

> Assuming you are correct, how do I keep this from happening? I don't
> have the same problem with my other Linux server. BTW, the one that is
> misbehaving in running RH 8.0 and it is 'up2date'. The other one is RH
> 7.2

This may have a lot to do with kernel versions. The 2.4 series has gone
through a lot of VM work since the beginning. The tweaking has gone back
and forth, making some things slower, some faster, etc. That doesn't
really resolve your problem, I know. But assuming that you have roughly
the same daemons running on both machines, with similar activity, it's
the kernel's handling of memory/swapping/VM/etc. You could force hoggish
programs to grab less priority with nice, but if your bash is swapped
out, that won't make much difference.

Paul