[SLUG] Have I been hacked !!!

From: Maureen L. Thomas (res1ydl9@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 23:49:42 EDT

I am currently using Mandrake 9.1. I have done all the security updates
and bug fixes to date. I use shorewall configured with msec. I also
use shadow passwords and change my passwords, both root and user
frequently. I have snort, prelude, and tripwire configured, as best I
can do with the written material I have read so far. I sue verizon
DSL. Usually when I work my two days I unplug the power to the modem.
I forgot theses past two days and when I opened up my shell it had at
the prompt the following"

maureen@wbar17 maureen> instead of the usual maureen@localhost
maureen> if I disconnect the power from the modem it goes back to the
localhost id. I really have no idea why this is happening or if I am
just being paranoid. I have tried to check my logs but there is nothing
amiss there that I can see. TIA, Maureen