Re: [SLUG] hosts.allow vs. syslogd vs. router

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@POBOX.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 23:07:56 EDT

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 21:48 US/Eastern, Eben King wrote:

> I ran /tcpdump -i eth0 -l | grep -i "arp "', and got a lot of ARP
> requests a few seconds after I restarted the router. It's ARPing many
> machines in *.tampabay.rr.com, as well as in other ISPs, and my
> machine, and others on my subnet. Mine succeeded, so I'm partial to
> the "no syslog packets" hypothesis.

Er... that's odd. I'm not sure why it would be ARPing for "external"
addresses on your "internal" subnet, but anyway...

>> Actually, it depends on the platform running tcpdump. Sometimes it's
>> the total number of packets received by tcpdump on that interface,
>> sometimes it's only those packets that matched the filter expression.

> Then it would report "0 packets received" for syslog, yes?

If you're pretty sure there was other traffic on the subnet, and it
reports 0 packets received when using a filter expression, then yeah;
it is probably reporting the number of packets that match the filter.

Well, good luck, let us know if you solve it.