Re: [SLUG] Slow Samba

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 22:59:18 EDT

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 22:14 US/Eastern, Russ Wright wrote:

> I confirmed that the eth0 card is running at 100 mbps using ethtool
> but still no improvement.
>
> Any suggestions before I have to stick my foot any deeper in my mouth?

First, I'd suggest taking Samba out of the picture and see what kind of
performance you get with a regular old FTP transfer. Use a test file
at least 10MB in size to smooth out the statistics, and look at what
kind of performance you're getting.

If you see the same poor numbers, then you can start examining other
factors. Ethernet autonegotiation problems are pretty common, you
might try nailing both sides of the connection at 100Mbps full duplex
and eliminating that variable as well. Try doing a "netstat -ni" and
check your transmit/receive error counters; perhaps it's a bad switch
port or patch cable.

What kind of Ethernet card are you using? Some have poor drivers, some
just suck at a hardware level (Realtek).