Re: [SLUG] Nvidia 5200 FX Twinview (SVGA) Driver

From: Justin Keyes (twitch@port0.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 23:00:30 EDT

On 08 Oct 2003 17:50:27 -0400
Joe Brandt <vzd1s11k@verizon.net> wrote:

> Downloading and running the latest Linux drivers and editing the
> X-config file as instructed leads to a NO screens found error when I use
> "nvidia" driver. I get an operational X with no OpenGL or 3D when I use
> "nv" driver.

Of course, you are not going to get 3D hardware support with nv.
put nvidia, follow all the instructions in the nvidia docs that come
with the driver. there are MANY HELPFUL FAQ questions at the end
of the README that comes with the driver you d/l'd from
nvidia. And of course read the
(sec-03) EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE

from that section:
If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load "dri"
        Load "GLcore"

section. Look at the FAQ (Appendix of the README) and then if nothing helps, post the
error you are getting, not XF86Config file. Read the questions,
trust me.

You may also need to fix pam, that's another story, but that
likely isn't your problem right now.

--
Justin Keyes             twitch ---at--- port0 ---dot--- net
"Loves Ximian Evolution; hates Red Carpet; loves Sylpheed..."

Americans have come to believe that congress can do anything that is wonderful; anything that has a majority vote. --Walter Williams, 2002